Home About Contact Contents Image Map

Sunday 11 May 2014

NYX Base Products That I Love

Wow, do I feel like a bad blogger at the moment? Yep! I'm just not getting enough opportunities as I would like to sit down and actually type out what I've got to say to you guys! However, I am going to prevail and make a conscious effort to make more time!

So today I thought I would tell you about some NYX 'base' products that I have had for a little while, and feel that I have given a good chance to really impress me. And impress me they have..


From left to right: NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder £10.00, NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray £8,00, NYX Photo-Loving Primer £7.00

NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder
I bought this product online, as with most of my beauty shopping, and didn't realise is was as stark white a colour. I can remember tearing off the packaging and thinking 'oh dear, another product that I will never use'! I can find that white powders, in particular loose powders make me look overly chalky and they can leave a very obvious cast on my face when taking pictures. However, I decided to give this one a try seen as i'd already spent the money and i really hate to just throw things away (I'm a hoarder, I can't control it!)
I was first really pleasantly surprised by how silkily smooth the powder is. It has clearly been very finely milled and does not leave a cakey layer on my skin. It blends super easily and set my foundation perfectly. I use a large powder brush, (the Real Techniques Powder Brush) gently tap off any excess and lightly dust my face with the powder. This powder lasts well on my oily t-zone and i find that i do not have to blot my makeup as often as i would when not wearing this powder. The only complaints i have for this loose powder is the packaging. You have to be super gentle and careful or you'll end up with a lap full of white powder, not the best when wearing black leggings or dark jeans! 

NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray
Having had tried the NYX Dewy Finish Setting Spray in my less-oily days, I was keen to go ahead and try this one out too. Don't get me wrong, I still love the dewy finish spray but find that i can only use it on days where my oil is behaving, or when i know I'm not likely to have my makeup on for long. This spray is very similar to MUA's pro setting spray in quality - it does the job well. It seems to improve wear time for around an extra 2-3 hours - every minute counts when you're working in a hot and fast paced environment! Does it matte-ify? I find it hard to say. I wouldn't say that it makes me any more matte than my powder products, but it does help to keep my oil and shine at bay. Its a winner for me, and for under £10.00 it will definitely be one that i keep a stock of in my makeup collection! No product can be perfect though, and i do have two rather small criticisms on this one. First off is that the spray nozzle isn't as fine as i would like, and can dispense too much product onto your face. And the second being that there is a rather unpleasant smell upon application, however i have found that this doesn't last very long and i cannot smell it when the setting spray has dried. 

NYX Photo-Loving Primer 
When i attempted to use this primer, a separated liquid/jelly came out of the tube and i had no intention of applying that to my face. However, a good shake seemed to sort the problem out and mixed the product back together. Upon application i noticed how thick this primer was, which is no bad thing. It has the capability to manage my oily t-zone and almost glues my foundation/concealer to it. This primer does not give a white cast when using flash in photo's and smooths my skin out to near perfection. It has to be one of the best primers I've ever used and the price tag makes it that bit more appealing! The packaging is a little plain, but does its job and is easy to dispense from. The only other downside to this product is that you need a bit more of this primer than you would of, say, benefits porefessional. However, i think that this is because its a gel type base and clings to your skin. Perhaps not the best for any dry skinned ladies out there, but for oily and combination i cannot recommend it enough!

So there you have it, the best three NYX 'base' products that i have use/continue to use. 
What are your NYX recommendations? Do you have any favorite products from this brand?

Connect with me!
Instagram: gemfru_x
Twitter: @gemfru_x


No comments:

Post a Comment