Home About Contact Contents Image Map

Thursday 22 May 2014

Benefit Box O' Powders Dupes?

I have been lusting after two of the benefit powders for so long now, but I just cannot seem to sacrafice my old favourite must haves in favour of something that just might not work for me. So when I found the W7 Honolulu and W7 Honey Queen Honeycomb Blusher I had to snap them up. To sweeten the deal even more for me, I recieved a 20% off code and also free delievery, making my affordable products super duper affordable!

Benefit Hoola Bronzer 
So, if you're unfamiliar with benefit products then where have you been all your life? Under a rock?! They are very cute, tongue in cheek and colourful packages that encase beautiful, if slightly pricey products. They would look stunning on your vanity table, and on your face of course! The Hoola Bronzer comes in a little purple cardboard box, with a bamboo motif in a light, almost sky blue which match the colour of the font used to tell you the items specifics (net weight ect). Included is also a small brush with a handle that is the same light blue as on the packaging. Opening the lid you can see that there is a small mirror included, which I can honestly say I don't think I would find use for, it's small and to be honest, I wouldn't have one of these box of powders in my handbag as I don't think they would travel all too well. The bronzing powder looks to be very brown in the packaging, but from what I've read, isn't very pigmented. As I haven't tried it, I can't really comment, but I'm hoping to pick one of these up in the next few weeks to try myself! 

W7 Honolulu Bronzer
Here is where the simalarities start - first of all is the name? Just me? Thought not. The W7 Honolulu bronzer comes in an identically sized box. The only differences that I can see are that of the colour of the box, the motif and the fact that this box of powder has a fully removable top without a mirror as apposed to Benefit's which boasts a flip top lid with a mirror enclosed inside. The W7 Honolulu bronzer box looks a little cheaper, but I'd expect that considering the price difference is a huge £20.50. Inside is a really soft brush very similar to that that benefit's hoola offers. This brush is a black handled, thin brush which I wouldn't necessarily use to bronze my face, but which may come in handy for contouring. The product again, looks very dark in the pan, and once swatched I can see that it's incredibly pigmented and almost a butter texture which I feel would blend out very well. There is no shimmer at all in this bronzer, which I am a huge fan of! I was a little anxious that this powder may have been very orange/red based which I have known some of the cheaper powders to be but upon swatching I am more than happy with the colour, and although there is a hint of orange in there, its mostly a tan shade which I'm hoping will prove very easy to work with. Even though I have picked this one up now, it's definitely helped me to make up my mind and order the Benefit's Hoola for two reasons. The first being so that I can really compare the two products for myself and the second being that I really love Benefit's range of products and want a treat, a girls prerogative huh!?





W7 The Honey Queen Honeycomb Blusher

The second item I purchased was this blusher, thinking that perhaps it might have been a dupe for Benefit's Rockateur. Sadly, this is in no way a good dupe or a blusher come to that. The packaging is super cute and I love the print and colours of the box. Included inside is the same brush as in the bronzer which again, although handy, I don't think its one that I would use to apply a blusher, and although it has been provided to help with on the go touch ups, I cant say that I would be likely to take one of these box of powders out and about with me as I don't think they would travel all that well, they're definitely a vanity table product. Inside the box is the most shimmery mosaic block I've ever come across which immediately made me cringe a little. I've pretty sure I haven't used a shimmer product like this since my early teen years when I learnt that a glitter ball look isn't something that suits me. So far, I've only swatched this product as I'm currently sat cross-legged and bare faced enjoying my day off which is my designated 'no makeup day' and might be able to get it to work as a possible highlight? But at the moment all I can get it to do is be super glittery with very little colour payoff. I also cannot get any blush colour from this at all, there's just no pink, peach or reddish pay off here. A bit of a waste!

Inside the box, this product looks super pretty, with pink, peach, mauve and a purple-ish colours but unfortunately the colour just doesn't pay off. I'm a little disappointed because I really wanted to enjoy using this product!

















So overall, its a mixed review! I'm totally in love with the bronzer at the moment, but I'll have to give it a couple of days wear to actually commit to it, but the blusher? I'm really not a fan. However, first impressions aren't everything so perhaps this one will grow on me? For £5.58 for both and including postage, you cant really moan can you? 







Have you used any of these products before? Do you have any W7 products that you adore? 
Have you used the benefit versions of these products? If so, what do you think of those?


Connect with me!
Instagram; gemfru_x
Twitter; @gemfru_x








No comments:

Post a Comment