Home About Contact Contents Image Map

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Hair Salvation - A Ramble, Review and A Whole Lot Of Pictures

To say I haven't been very kind to my hair over the years would be an understatement. I've thoroughly put it through the wringer and still find myself wondering why its in such poor condition and wont grow. 

Just to demonstrate to you how much I've put my hair through, I'll show you some photos of the drastic changes I went through in a two year period. - My hair naturally is a medium to dark brown, it used to grow very well and was always super shiny.

Natural Hair 



First Change: from brunette to bright red.


I loved the red but wanted to go one further, second change; perm.(yes, i wanted to be Rihanna)

Change 3: From red to (almost) brunette to be a bridesmaid for my uncle.

Change 4: As soon as possible, I was back to red.

Change 5: When red had had its day, I decided to go for the next hair trend, dipdye.



Change 6: When my hair started to snap off, I panicked and thought that dying my hair darker would help to stop this, but as I wasn't keen on having 'normal' hair I decided I wanted my perm back as my original perm had relaxed a hell of a lot & I had had a great deal of it cut out. (clearly I know nothing about hair)



Change 7: I stuck with this for a few months and tried to help my hair to strengthen and grow. Until the inevitable boredom set in and i had my hair chemically straightened.




Which is where we are up to now. If you were wondering what the girl behind the blog looks like I guess you're not anymore! I know that its a ton of pictures, but I really wanted you to get an insight to what I've done to my hair so I can talk to you about my 'hair salvation regime'! - I haven't included pictures of various extensions that I have had in and out of my hair (micro-bond, weave, clip in's. In almost every process of changing my hair there was a lot of bleach or chemicals involved. The worst one i can remember is having to have a bleach bath on for an hour to pull the brown out of my hair before i could be a red head again. My hair is severely damaged.

Twice a week for the last year i have been applying a home made hair mask to my hair over night. This involves mixing an avocado, two egg yolks and 2 tea spoons of virgin olive oil and applying to the hair. I then put a shower cap over the top and leave it on until the next morning when i will shampoo and condition as usual. This really helps my hair to feel shiny and strong again, but its an on going process and i really cant see a time in the near future when i wont have to do this. 

I also indulge in a 15 minute hair mask every time i wash my hair (yes, even after the overnight mask) which is usually no more than three times a week. This is usually a packet or a sachet and my favorites are John Frieda Frizz Ease, Aussie 3 minute miracle re-constructor deep conditioner and Ojon Damage reverse restorative hair treatment when I can afford it as its quite expensive for a 50ml tub.

I use leave in conditioners, heat defence spray and argan oil and i was still not seeing results. Until recently.

It was on a usual grocery trip that i came across these Garnier Ultimate Blends Shampoo and Conditioner. I'd seen some adverts on the television but had only heard about the 'sleek restorer' collection and had no idea that there were so many different ones. I decided to pick up the Nourishing Repairer Shampoo and Conditioner on a whim, they had a discounted price as an introductory offer, I'm a sucker for a gimmick and if it had the slightest chance of making a difference to my hair then I was game! You get a huge 400ml for your £3.89 each! 

I've been using both the shampoo and conditioner for about three weeks now every time I've washed my hair. The first thing that I love about these products is the smell. They smell divine and really make you feel like you're washing your hair with a luxury product. The second thing that I'm really impressed with is that they do seem to have made a difference. This week so far, I've washed my hair once, had my homemade mask on once, and haven't used any supplementary conditioners at all. My hair feels much softer, healthier, is shiny again and I seem to have many more good hair days since starting to use this shampoo and conditioner duo. I've not had to use my straightening irons much at all to try and make my hair look sleeker and less like a frizzy mess! I'm most certainly going to stick with this brand for a while at least. The packaging its really nice and sleek, tells you everything you need to know and doesnt leak in the slightest. It contains a mixture of avocado oil (told you that was good for your hair!) and shea butter and claims to contain no parabens - which is always a good thing in my book! 
(FYI - a paraben is a group of chemicals which have preservative qualities, they are frequently used in cosmetics and over the counter beauty and health care products. Today many people are concerned about the side effects of parabens triggered by the alleged link between parabens and the development of certain cancers.

I'm hoping that the next time I go to the hairdressers she wont cut the regulation 3/4 inches off that she usually suggests. My only regret? Not picking up the 1 minute treatment conditioner, but its definitely on my grocery shopping list for next week!

So, what hair crimes are you guilty of? Have you got any hints and tips for salvaging hair? Have you used this brand of shampoo and conditioners? Get in touch with me! I love to chat, and i will always reply to every single comment!

Connect with me!
Instagram; gemfru_x
Twitter; @gemfru_x

No comments:

Post a Comment