Home About Contact Contents Image Map

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Rimmel Stay Matte Collection


Last week we had to pop to tesco for some bits and pieces, and of course that means a sneaky look at the makeup department. Tesco has recently updated their makeup section and now have a super wide range including sleek & clarins! I would say they have the largest range of cosmetics for a supermarket! It's like being a kid in a sweet shop for any aspiring beauty blogger or all round makeup lover such as myself! 
One of the great things about buying makeup from a supermarket is that they always seem to have offers on - Tesco's had a 3 for 2 offer which is just music to my ears.

I have always loved Rimmel. I can remember when I first discovered makeup at 13-14, Rimmel was my brand of choice. And although I have ventured out into the world of higher end products I find that this particular cosmetics company always have something to offer me.

I've used the Rimmel stay matte pressed powder to set my foundation for as long as I can remember and so went to stock up. I just haven't found anything like it. I've recently been trying loose powders but find they just make me look more 'cakey' than usual. I think I'll stick with what I know! Anyway, I digress! I was in that general area when I came across the Stay Matte Foundation & Primer. If you've read any of my posts, reviews on makeupalley or follow me on instagram you will know that I am a primer junkie. I just cant get enough! So, I was stood there thinking 'well, I do love this powder and I do love a primer, why not try the whole range'? So I did.

I have tried pretty much all of Rimmel's foundations at one time or another. And one thing I can say lets them down is that they do not have a great range of shades. I think in total they have five options. Not a lot really when you think of all the variations in skin tones. I tested a few of them and found that I was inbetween the ivory & true ivory. I wanted to get the best possible match so ended up purchasing both with the intention of mixing them and getting a better colour match. 

I only got around to using these products yesterday. I had a busy weekend and I like to have at least one makeup free day per week. But yesterday I had to go back to work (boohoo) and thought it would be a good opportunity to test drive them. I find the packaging to be really cute, and I also think that the packaging would make it really easy to ensure you're going to get the last drops of product out.

First off, the primer. The primer is wonderful. Completely colour free, a really great texture, feels so good on the skin. I have literally nothing bad to say about this primer, a little goes a long way, its a really good price & I would definitely buy this again, as long as I continue to experience no problems such as break outs ect.

After allowing the primer to set in a little I moved on to the foundation. I put a little of each colour into a shallow mixing dish and mixed them together with a cotton bud. I was happy with the colour that came through and I started to apply. I quickly noticed that I had mixed way too much. I would say a pea sized amount would have sufficed. This foundation blends so well. It is described on the packaging as a liquid mousse, and I would agree that that is the best description for it. It feels super light and not cloying on your skin at all. The coverage is perfect. A medium to full coverage. I only had to use a very small amount of concealer on my under eye area. I finished my makeup and my skin looked flawless, I am very happy with this foundation and primer. Super cheap, super results. The only criticism I have for this product is that like most 'drug store' foundations, both colours that I used are pink based. I regularly tan and therefore prefer a yellow based foundation. (I am a NC30 in mac). However, I was able to fix this by applying a Mac MSF in Medium Dark, which is yellow toned. I found this counteracted the pink undertones of the foundation. 



It just goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune on products to achieve a great look.

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - £3.99
Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation - £5.99
Rimmel Stay Matte Primer - £5.99


Have you tried this range of products from Rimmel? Have you found other 'drug store' foundations/primers that you swear by? Let me know!

Connect with me:

Instagram; gemfru_x
Twitter; @gemfru_x

No comments:

Post a Comment