Home About Contact Contents Image Map

Thursday 3 April 2014

A shakey start..

Hello & welcome to my blog!

I've wanted to start sharing my reviews and such on all things beauty for a long time but have always been really scared to! So I've finally taken the plunge!

Please let me know what you think, thank you!

                                                                                                                                                                  



So, a few weeks ago I did a little haul shopping. I picked up some products that I had been hearing some really great things about and decided to try them for myself.
The products I bought were, (from left to right)
  • Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel Universal Bronzing
  • Schwarzkopf GOT2BE Hairspray
  • L'Oreal Paris Extraordinary Facial Oil
  • Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser Primer
  • L'Oreal Paris Lumi Magique Pen
  • Palmers Natural Bronze Moisturiser
  • Real Techniques Retractable Bronzer Brush
  • Rimmel Rita Ora Collection 60 Seconds nail varnish in Pillow Talk
  • Maybelline Eye Eraser Concealer in Light
  • Maybelline Super Stay nail varnish in Mint For Life
  • Maybelline Super Stay 24 Hour Waterproof Powder in Fawn

   
 
The first product I was DYING to try was the Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel Universal Bronzing. I've been looking at different reviews for such a long time, researching which application gives the best results, where to buy from, peoples skins reaction to the product. Basically, I was clued up! So I headed to the Debenhams Chanel counter in Preston while I was visiting a friend at university and after a brief conversation with the MUA I had what I thought was going to be my Holy Grail product.
Upon the recommendation from the MUA at the Chanel counter I purchased a new kabuki type brush. The one I got was the Real Techniques Bronzer Brush (retractable). I am in love with Real Techniques brushes. They're super soft, cruelty free, versatile and I always find them really easy to clean!
The first thing I should note, for those who do not know, the Chanel Universal Bronzing is nothing like you would expect a bronzer to be. For a start its a cream. This baffled me as I've only ever used a powder bronzer. After I got over my initial reluctance to even use the product (I do this with anything new, I don't like to spoil the perfect new-ness!!) I was very happy to discover that this product smells AMAZING. Nothing too perfumed to make you think 'whoa, do I want this on my skin', but still a beautiful fragrance. I applied my usual primer, foundation & concealer routine and then I took my clean Real Techniques brush (please always clean new makeup brushes before you use them for the first time!) and stippled the brush into the product. When I thought I had enough product packed onto there I began to apply the bronzer in light strokes onto my cheeks, chin, and forehead.
It does blend very well, but can look a little too clay-coloured, perhaps this is just on my skin tone.

I set my makeup with a translucent setting powder and finished my makeup as normal.
After a days wear I did notice that the product had helped my usual makeup to stay on a little better, and that my skin did look smooth and a little more naturally tanned. You just don't get that with a powder bronzer in my opinion. However, in some places around my face - around the nose, temples & some problematic areas, I did notice that the product had sort of bunched together and built up on its own. Perhaps I need a little more practice, or perhaps I need to try some of the other methods of application that I have seen.
For £31.00 (plus around £10.00 for a brush to use) I'd say it is a fairly good product. However please do your research before you do purchase because as with many if not all beauty products, you cannot return a product when opened if you decide its not for you! If you want to try a product LIKE this without the price tag, try Bourjois Bronzing Primer.
I'm going to persevere with this one, I think that when I finally find a better way to apply it'll perhaps become the HG product I've hoped for.
 
I had high hopes for the L'Oreal Paris Extraordinary Facial Oil. This product was on display in the checkout queue and as I have been reading up on the benefits for your skin through oil I was intrigued, in the basket it went. Unfortunately as with many skin care products you do not get the opportunity to 'test' a little like with makeup products. This product is no better than baby oil in my opinion. It checks out at around £13.00 and after a few days of using the product I was really disappointed. I had been using the oil, as directed, after cleansing in the morning and night. On day 3 I noticed that my pores were looking really clogged up, but decided to carry on using the product as sometimes things get a little worse before they get better. By day 5 I had what felt like a marble sat under my skin on my chin. I was Horrified.
After that, I stopped using the product completely. My chin had swollen up around this 'lump' severely and was so sore! I wouldn't have what you would call particularly sensitive skin. I can put pretty much whatever product I like on my skin without any bad side affects but perhaps my skin did not like this oil? Fortunately the swelling and lump subsided after a few days and has now completely disappeared, but I am noticing that my skin is a little more oily than normal. I don't think I'll be messing around with my skin care routine again! Has anyone else had any adverse reactions to this product? Please let me know.. 
 
 I have only recently become interested in primers after using a sample of the Benefit Porefessional. Since then I have gone on to purchase a full size Porefessional, a Mac primer & many lower end primers.
When I saw Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser Primer I was instantly drawn to the super cute packaging! I mean, I'm a sucker for that stuff but show me a girl that isn't?
I had used a couple of the Maybelline Baby Lips and had been pleasantly surprised by how well a relatively cheap product had worked. Maybelline have created a great little range of products! This primer, while not being on the same level as the Porefessional is a really great primer. I can see myself using this for day to day wear, when I don't need my makeup to last quite as long as say a 12 hour work day but still want a beautiful base. It is a clear gel product, without much of a fragrance, and a little goes a long way. This product needs to be applied thinly or you may notice that your makeup slips a little. I would recommend this primer to anyone that wants a really good product but is working on a budget.
£7.99? SOLD
 
The L'Oreal Lumi Magique Pen  is my dupe for the YSL Touche Éclat. I use this product as a highlighter for areas such as down the bridge of the nose, between the brows, under the eyes, on the cupids bow and a little on the chin. I find that this product has ALWAYS done what I have wanted it to. It provides a subtle highlight which helps with contouring the face and adding depth and definition. I draw on the skin where I want the product applied, take a soft concealer brush and gently buff and push the product into the skin. I would love to try the YSL Touche Éclat but I have heard that it doesn't last very long, and if I'm going to spend £25 on a product, I need to know that I'm going to get my moneys worth!
Every girl that likes to highlight needs to try this miracle pen from L'Oreal!
 
I will post on the other products in the picture from my haul soon, but for now xxx
 


No comments:

Post a Comment