Home About Contact Contents Image Map

Thursday 18 September 2014

Maybelline Colour Drama Intense Velvet Lip Pencils: REVIEW


Hands up if you can walk away from a new product release. No, me neither. Which is how these little lovelies ended up coming home with me last week. These beautiful sticks of magic are the newest offering in lip colour from Maybelline, and I am certainly a huge fan.
I can honestly say that whenever I'm after a new lip product, I hardly ever stray away from the usual lipsticks and lip liners, but something about these pencils drew me in immediately. I was instantly taken with the glossy black pencils which each have the corresponding colour band on the bottom and the fantastic range of shades available; there's everything you could want from a beautiful nude, classic red and deep autumnal berry, plus everything inbetween! 

Left to right - Fuchsia Desire, Perfectly Nude, Berry Much & In With Coral

I chose the colours above because they are the most 'me'. I would have liked to have got one of each of those available but unfortunately some inconsiderate shoppers had been using the pencils as samples, instead of the samples provided, which meant I didn't bother with them. But after seeing how good these guys really are, I may just have to place an order online! My favourite have got to be Fuchsia Desire; a deep, blue toned pink that I think would look good on any skintone and Berry Much; the perfect deep plum/berry for autumn.

These lip pencils follow the 'jumbo pencil' craze that has become apparent over the last few years, and fit comfortbaly in the hand. They are easy to control and the 'lipstick' itself is both soft enough to glide upon the lips without tugging at the gentle skin but tough enough not to crumble too. You will need to invest in a pencil sharpener that fits these, as after a couple of uses I found that application became a little tricky as the pencil got a little blunt. I found that the dual size sharpener from Bourjois works perfectly.

The formula of these pencils is really on point. For a girl with dry lips I can confirm that these were in fact extremely comfortable and last all day long - even throughout eating and drinking and didn't leave my lips in a bit of a state like some lip products can do. 

The finish is somewhere around the satin mark, and although aren't 'glossy' as such, they do have a sheen on the lip which I actually quite enjoy, although I'm usually a matte lip kind of girl.



All in all, Maybelline have hit the nail on the head with this newest release and I can see them being a hit to rival the likes of Nars. At only £4.99 a pop they are both affordable and makeup bag worthy. I can see these little beauties getting a lot of use from me this coming autumn!

Have you used these Maybelline Colour Drama Intense Velvet Lip Pencils? What colour is your favourite?

 photo signature1_zpscde86863.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment